Thursday 4 July 2019

Comet 46P/Wirtanen and M42

9 December 2018


Comet 46P/Wirtanen

A night of imaging Comet Wirtanen and M42 with the TV60.

Conditions: surprisingly mild, and a good dark sky. Opportunities like this are few and far between at this time of year, so on this occasion I left the XT10 indoors to make sure I could give polar alignment, BackyardEOS etc. my full attention. Though I did have time to scan the Milky Way with the 7x50 binoculars once the imaging session was up and running.

Comet 46P/Wirtanen was faintly visible to the naked eye and appeared as a little fuzzball through binoculars, like a defocused globular cluster, or a diminished version of Comet Holmes during its famous outburst. Not the most exciting comet admittedly, but the first naked-eye one I’ve seen in quite a while.

I saw five meteors, four of which were Geminids. I also saw several winking and flaring objects east of Orion’s belt – presumably geostationary satellites (another one also photobombed a few of my M42 light frames).

No comments:

Post a Comment