Sunday 6 October 2019

The Veil in OIII

22 August 2019, 21:45 – 23:00 BST

The first clear, moonless night this side of the solstice and the transparency was unusually good for the time of year.

The seeing wasn’t nearly as good, so the best views of Saturn came only fleetingly at 240x, with the Cassini Division, the planet’s shadow across the rings, and the subtle banding on the planet itself all on display. The moons showed up well at 133x, with Titan, Rhea, Tethys and Dione clearly visible.

M11, Wild Duck Cluster, Scutum
A quick look at one of my favourite clusters, although the fainter stars were a little bit washed out by light pollution. But this was just a warm-up to get my eyes back in deep-sky mode as I prepared for the main target of the evening…

Veil Nebula, supernova remnant, Cygnus
Ever since I got it I’ve been itching to use the Astronomik OIII filter on the Veil and I wasn’t disappointed. At 50x (Panoptic 24mm), the nebula was bright and distinct and very large, showing lots of fine detail in both arcs. The sinuous “spike” of the Western Veil (NGC 6960) was clearly brighter along its edges, and the Eastern Veil (NGC 6992/5) showed faint “talon-like” extensions (IC 1340) from its southern end. I also saw a portion of Pickering/Fleming’s Triangle (Simeis 3-188) for the first time, visible directly as a faint wisp of light, becoming brighter and more extended with averted vision. Overall, the Veil had a wraith-like appearance, quite unlike anything else I’ve seen in the night sky. I’ve written before about the differences between planetary nebulae and emission nebulae as being akin to smoke and mist, but this was something else entirely, like a windblown cloud or vapour trail, frozen in space.

Other notes:
As I was packing up I saw a single late Perseid flashing through Pegasus.

No comments:

Post a Comment