Thursday 28 January 2021

Falling Stars and Grazing Planets

A short update to round off the 2020 log. The weather during December was mostly unsuitable for observing, with a couple of notable exceptions.

The Geminid meteor shower put on a really fine display on the night of Saturday 12 December to Sunday 13 December, despite this being a good 24 hours before the shower peaked. (The actual night of the peak was clouded out.) I went outside a little before midnight and lasted about 90 minutes before the cold drove me back indoors, seeing at least 30 meteors (including one sporadic) during that time. I didn’t observe any fireballs, but I did notice a strange effect during the first half-hour whereby the meteors appeared to arrive in pairs. After a gap of two or three minutes, one would flash through Orion or Taurus, quickly followed by another one on almost the same path. Then another gap of two or three minutes before the next pair. My attempts to photograph the Geminids were less successful; they seemed to know exactly when I had the shutter open, and the one meteor I did “catch” in the act wasn’t bright enough to register on the sensor.



The day of the Great Conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn was also clouded out, but on the evening before closest approach (Sunday 20 December) there was a period between about 16:00 and 16:30 where the clouds cleared briefly in the southwest. Viewing conditions were pretty terrible, but I was able to see both planets (plus several moons and an interloper star) in the same field of view at several magnifications all the way up to 240x (i.e. within a third of a degree). Sadly both planets slipped behind a tree just as I was about to start an imaging run (using the ZWO ASI120MM at 1,000 mm), but I don’t think the results would have been that great anyway. Seeing the conjunction in the scope was good enough. (The image above is a quick consolation shot taken with the TV60, showing the relative size/brightness of the two planets.)


Nature note:
With the dusk gathering, and while I was scanning the gaps in the clouds with my binoculars, one of the local sparrowhawks floated over the garden, heading towards the local park (where I presume it has a roost).

No comments:

Post a Comment